Expresii
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view

2 posters

Go down

Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view Empty Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view

Post  firemute Mon 11 Jun 2018, 5:39 am

I am using a Dell 9575.  I have found that when I pinch zoom the picture frequently jumps back as if I am hitting the reset view button, when I am not.  This is quite frustrating.  It would be helpful if this button could be turned off.

I also frequently find that as I am using the software the rendering of the brush often disappears and it only shows a dot where the brush should be.

Thank-you!

firemute

Back to top Go down

Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view Empty Re: Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view

Post  Admin Wed 13 Jun 2018, 8:22 am

I acknowledge your pin to zoom issue and will try to fix it ASAP.
For the brush disappearing, it's meant to fade out after user idles (other users complaint about the virtual brush obstructing their views - but I think hiding it altogether means you can't see exactly how the brush footprint evolves, thus I set it to fade after user idles). Is this what you're talking about, or you mean it disappears while you make a stroke?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view Empty Re: Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view

Post  firemute Wed 13 Jun 2018, 11:32 am

Admin wrote:I acknowledge your pin to zoom issue and will try to fix it ASAP.

Excellent!

Admin wrote:
For the brush disappearing, it's meant to fade out after user idles (other users complaint about the virtual brush obstructing their views - but I think hiding it altogether means you can't see exactly how the brush footprint evolves, thus I set it to fade after user idles). Is this what you're talking about, or you mean it disappears while you make a stroke?

So it started where after a few strokes it would switch between the brush and the dot.  Then it would get stuck and only show the dot, no more brush.  I was doing some closeup tracing with the fine brush and then when I panned out found that it stopped allowing me to even paint with any of the brushes but sometimes I could get it to brush with the fine brush only.  I think this corresponds to a recent Dell BIOS update I did on the 9575 to address an overactive fan issue; and, I think it broke something in the pen tech.  Tried switching the Premium Active Pen between MPP (Microsoft Pen Protocol) and AES (Wacom Active Electrostatic) but that didn't fix it.  Since then, I finally got it working again by switching on the check for "Windows Ink" in the System Settings>Input.  Works fine now.  But I have found that if I uncheck the "Windows Ink" box, Expresii will crash.

Otherwise, this program is just a gem to use.  I got the Dell 9575 with the mind of being able to use Expresii on it.  The accelerometer works also.  Though I will admit it was a bit of a chore to get the Radeon Vega M GPU to work with expresii.  I'm using the Microsoft store version (which I like a lot from the perspective of getting updates pushed to my computer).  Had to use procexp64 to find the file location for the executable X.exe.  Then used that with the Radeon driver Switchable Graphics browser.  Found the location of the executable, got the GPU to kick in and now Expresii works awesome, whew!

I hope your program will grow in the future to support other media.  I know Nelson was previously with Microsoft working on Project Gustav, and it is sad to see how poorly that amazing tech is implemented in Fresh Paint.  I hope you can bring something better into your software for other media types like gouache/acrylic, other watercolor forms etc. all while keeping things simple yet very powerful.   I would enthusiastically pay for for such updates.

Cheers!  Thank-you so much for getting the research into a form that is usable!

Last edited by firemute on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

firemute

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 15 Jun 2018, 5:23 pm

Hi, I've uploaded version 2018.06.15, which shortens the double-press interval from 500 to 200 ms, so hopefully it's much less likely your two-finger interaction get miss-interpreted as double-taps.
You can also disable the default action assigned to two-finger double tap here:
Pinch zoom tends to trigger reset view Untitl10

by changing it from 'View Reset' to 'None'. If there're more ppl complaining about this, I'd set the default to None. Smile

I wonder if previously you had 'currently using: WACOM' showing when you have 'Windows Ink' unchecked. If so, it was using a Wacom DLL for the pen input.  If it's indeed a Wacom, reinstalling its driver may fix the showing-only-dot-cursor issue as noted in this thread: https://expresii.forumotion.net/t230-how-to-fix-the-dot-cursor-only-and-no-brush-issue-seems-to-be-related-to-recent-windows-10-update

Yes, checking and unchecking 'Windows Ink' cause those DLL's to be swapped. Do it a few times, it crashes Expresii on my system too, and I have no idea why.

I recently found that the 'Windows Ink' dll I put there actually requires vcruntime140.dll (one can install Microsoft's VC redistributable to fix the missing vcruntime140.dll). Could be the cause to the above issues. Not sure yet.

The Desktop version is updated faster than the Store version, since MS has to approve the update before it's released. We have the Desktop version check for update every one day on startup by default - so you simply need to just press 'update' if not pushed like in the Store version. :-)   Another reason to have the Desktop version is that it's easier to tell the system to use dGPU for Expresii - since it's much easier to locate the x.exe. Smile People may like the Store version because it's verified by Microsoft. I do get complaints from anti-virus tagging Expresii as virus from time to time, probably because we're less known, and that we update the exe quite frequently. However, occasionally our Store version also got tagged as virus by, say, McAfee. Sad  False alarm, of course.

And thanks a lot for your encouragement! It's a long journey, and we'll grow to include more media, improve the UI, etc. Encouragement like yours really helps since making such software tool really takes a lot of energy. cheers

Last edited by Admin on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  firemute Fri 15 Jun 2018, 10:11 pm

Admin wrote:You can also disable the default action assigned to two-finger double tap here:

by changing it from 'View Reset' to 'None'.
Thank-you!
Admin wrote:I wonder if previously you had 'currently using: WACOM' showing when you have 'Windows Ink' unchecked. If so, it was using a Wacom DLL for the pen input.  If it's indeed a Wacom, reinstalling its driver may fix the showing-only-dot-cursor issue as noted in this thread: https://expresii.forumotion.net/t230-how-to-fix-the-dot-cursor-only-and-no-brush-issue-seems-to-be-related-to-recent-windows-10-update
The Dell 9575 is supposed to be using Wacom AES, so I may try that.
Admin wrote:The Desktop version is updated faster than the Store version, since MS has to approve the update before it's released. We have the Desktop version check for update every one day on startup by default - so you simply need to just press 'update' if not pushed like in the Store version. :-)   Another reason to have the Desktop version is that it's easier to tell the system to use dGPU for Expresii - since it's much easier to locate the x.exe. Smile People may like the Store version because it's verified by Microsoft. I do get complaints from anti-virus tagging Expresii as virus from time to time, probably because we're less known, and that we update the exe quite frequently. However, occasionally our Store version also got tagged as virus by, say, McAfee. Sad  False alarm, of course.
When I got the laptop, one of the first things I did was uninstall McAfee.  But I was getting the false positive virus thing from Microsoft's scanner anyway.  That reality is likely to hurt sales. :/
Admin wrote:And thanks a lot for your encouragement! It's a long journey, and we'll grow to include more media, improve the UI, etc. Encouragement like yours really helps since making such software tool really takes a lot of energy. cheers
It is a long road, but what you have accomplished is amazing.  You should definitely be proud of your work, there is nothing like it out there!

firemute

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

FYI, I encounter the brush disappearing issue myself, and am working on fixing it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:54 pm

FYI, the disappearing brush bug has been fixed in Update 2018-06.22 Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down