What settings for a Samsung galaxy book 12" ?

Go down

What settings for a Samsung galaxy book 12" ?

Post  krazykat on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 4:13 pm

Hello,
(Sorry for my english, I'm french)
Before to buy application, I want to be sure it is compatible with Samsung galaxy book. I've encountered bugs and line problem as you can see in screenshots. I had to reset several times. Tilt works if I select "Windows Ink" (but no number appears in Diagnostics/tilt).
What are the good settings for a Samsung galaxy book ?
Thank you for this unique app !

Last edited by krazykat on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

krazykat

Back to top Go down

other examples

Post  krazykat on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 5:33 pm

krazykat

Back to top Go down

other bug

Post  krazykat on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

I was croping canva and then wanted to export. After that, appli has restarted in another language.

krazykat

Back to top Go down

why this strange effect ?

Post  krazykat on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:31 am

(but I want to say I consider your application is wonderful !)

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Transition between thick lines and fine lines

Post  krazykat on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 5:04 am

Sometimes there is very few transition between thick lines and fine lines ?

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Re: What settings for a Samsung galaxy book 12" ?

Post  Admin on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:20 pm

krazykat wrote:Hello,
(Sorry for my english, I'm french)
Before to buy application, I want to be sure it is compatible with Samsung galaxy book. I've encountered bugs and line problem as you can see in screenshots. I had to reset several times. Tilt works if I select "Windows Ink" (but no number appears in Diagnostics/tilt).
What are the good settings for a Samsung galaxy book ?

Yes, it should use Windows Ink, since no wintab32.dll is supplied by the vendor, so we have to rely on Windows Ink API. It's strange that you don't see the tilt value in the Diagnostics tab. Does it say 'Stylus (Windows Ink)' as the caption of the Diagnostics tab? If yes, we're using Windows Ink. Note that you have to stroke on the current window of Expresii in order to show the Tilt/Pressure values.

I don't have Samsung galaxy book here, but I'm afraid there's not much setting you can tweak to make it run faster. There's a Game Mode in Windows 10 (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3187171/windows/tested-windows-10s-game-mode-makes-unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html) that is supposed to make it run as fast as it can for a particular application, but on my Surface Pro, it doesn't really make a difference.

krazykat wrote:

Sorry, but this is because the Galaxy Book is too slow for fast strokes. I could have done interpolation to make it smoother, but that's at the cost of making it even slower - and that would translate into lag.

krazykat wrote:

Sorry for this error. Right now the third-party Bug Report system that I use is broken for sending error reports. Otherwise I'd ask you to send the report so that I can see what's going on. I'm aware of occasional error similar to this, and it's from the graphics library that Expresii uses. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out what went wrong by looking at the source code (that's an open-source library). Crying or Very sad
Admin
Admin

http://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm

krazykat wrote:I was croping canva and then wanted to export. After that, appli has restarted in another language.

This error is new to me. Although the 'send report' doesn't work right now, you can manually send me the bug report by clicking on the 'click here' in 'To see what data this error report contains, click here', and then choose Copy to Clipboard, and then email the content to support@expresii.com. This would help me figure out what went wrong. Thanks!

And regarding 'transition' - I believe it's partly due to the Galaxy Book too slow, so the stroke itself is a bit segmented. Also, you can adjust the Brush Wetness so that it's not too wet to avoid large spreading.

And regarding 'blobs' and 'too much separated forms' - sorry this is how the program behaves right now. I wasn't very happy with that too - I plan to fix that in a later release. In the meantime, I'd just embrace such behavior. e.g. for that 'too much separated forms' issue, I'd simply stroke on it again to make it more organic. When the brush is smaller, that actually adds some variations.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 5:01 am

Thank you very much for your complete answer. I thought this recent computer with tilt would be adequate.
Congratulations on Expresii, it's beautiful.

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks for kind words! We'll continue to develop Expresii.

Sorry, but it's always been confusing: Windows machines are not like iPads, where iPads only have few models to choose from. Windows machines could look alike but the insides are very different, with different levels of CPU, GPU, etc. You almost need to be a geek to be aware of the difference. The only fast enough '2-in-1' tablet I found is the 2017 Surface Pro i7 with 'Iris 640' GPU. The interesting thing is, their latest Surface Pro 6 just announced has a slower GPU 'UHD 620'. It's probably because they want the battery life to be better (and less heat generation) at the cost of not having a GPU as fast (FYI, Iris 640 gives around 100 FPS, and UHD 620 80 FPS). If one wants great GPU, they probably would ask you to switch to Surface Book 2.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Expresii became unusable since update

Post  krazykat on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 5:05 am

It became unusable since update. I tried x32 and x64 and the result is the same : this is a slow and curved line.

The number "FPS" is much higher than before (around 150). Why is this happened and what can I do ?

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 10:04 am

I'm sorry that you run into issue.

So, are you using Expresii v.2018.10.15 ?

FYI, I have no issue using this latest version on my Surface Pro. The brush tilt still working (if so, this rules out you are using wrong input api)?

My Surface Pro give around 110 FPS during stroking using high DPI (200% scale) with following spec:

Expresii x64 (v.2018.10.15) - 2018.10.16 9:54:59 AM started
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50GHz
GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 640; GL 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6136

If you get 150 FPS during stroking, that's even faster than my Surface Pro - which I'm not sure if that's what it should be.

Anyway, you can verify if it's really Expresii's version that causes the issue by installing previous versions from here:
http://expresii.atspace.cc/files/rdtr/

I'll be easier for me to figure out what's wrong if you can verify it is changing from which version to the next version that causes the issue.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:20 pm

Thank you for your answer.
The problem is the same with 2018-10-14 and 2018-10-15 versions. I reinstalled 2018-09-21 version which is like in my previous posts (around 35 FPS. Trial license key expired).
My galaxy book 12 :

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

(I chose Samsung galaxy book because of the Microsoft surface pro/book pen jitter. But it doesn't matter with brushes)

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks for your reply. Version 09-21 already has high-DPI added so it's not high DPI support that could cause the slow down for you.

I'll need more time to check the difference between versions 09-21 and the next, to see what could be the exact cause. For now, you can also try update the Intel graphics driver, which I see is version 21.20.xxxx (mine is 24.20.xxxx and the CPU is same 7000 series). This might increase the graphics performance a little.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 3:26 am

Thank you ! I will try.

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 5:18 am

Thank you, you were right : I've updated the driver and it works (better than ever), around 90-120 FPS (v.2018.10.15. and previous one). But sometimes the same problem (straight lines) occurs during some seconds or minutes (due to Windows ?). And an old problem of the Galaxy book is reappeared : the screen warms...

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 7:46 am

Great to know that upgrading the driver gives better performance! Smile

The lag when stroking could be due to the system swapping data from video RAM (when it run out of such RAM). I see you have 1GB of RAM dedicated to GPU out of a total of 8 GB. You can set it to be e.g. 2 GB so that more RAM is dedicated to video (GPU) in BIOS settings. Alternatively, you can set the undo level in Expresii to lower so that it's less often needing to swap data.

The screen heating up is unavoidable when the GPU is working. FYI, to minimize the heating and battery consumption, we will pause the ink simulation when there's no user input for a little while (it will say 'idling' in Window caption).
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The issue isn't solved

Post  krazykat on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 9:49 am

Hello,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Finally, it works only a few minutes and only when the computer has just started. After a while, (or if I use biefly an other program), It slows down (straight lines...) and sometimes the undo function doesn't working anymore. I precise that I haven't be able to change BIOS settings and my undo level is set on 3. I hope we will find a solution.

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 9:49 pm

Sorry to hear that. I'm afraid the Samsung Book may not be really up to the task then. One final adjustment would be switching Expresii to System Enhanced for high-DPI override, if your Galaxy Book is using screen scaling > 100% (https://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/windows-10-settings-display.png).

Another user finds the GPU HD 620 unusably slow after switching to use high-DPI and going back to before high-DPI support via System Override does get back the acceptable performance he got before. Please refer to this thread: http://expresii.forumotion.net/t241-high-dpi-windows-store-version-slow

Last edited by Admin on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  krazykat on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 11:21 pm

Thank you !

krazykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down