Expresii
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer?

2 posters

Go down

Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer? Empty Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer?

Post  Togotooner Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:27 pm

Hello,

Is there any way to turn off the Brush Pointer so that there is no silly brush icon on the screen as I paint? I do not own this software,m but it looks fantastic and I was thinking of buying it provided I can turn off that mouse brush pointer.

Thank you in advance,

TD

Togotooner

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer? Empty Re: Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer?

Post  Admin Sat 08 Oct 2016, 7:24 am

Yes, there's a user setting to switch the brush all the way from a full brush with handle to just the brush head to a simple dot to absolutely nothing. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer? Empty Re: Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer?

Post  Admin Mon 10 Oct 2016, 6:58 pm

Just made a video showing the options:

I know many of you are so used to a simple cursor, but there're reasons behind the rendering of the virtual brush, namely to see the current deformation, color loading, and wetness. It's there so that you know exactly what you're painting.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to turn off the Simulated Brush Pointer? Empty Thank You

Post  Togotooner Wed 12 Oct 2016, 5:46 am

Thanks for the info. That is great to know! I shouldn't have used the word "silly" when describing the brush,.. that was of my own opinion and not necessarily that of others. Apologies there. What may seem silly to one person may be useful to another. Glad to know that there are options though. What a great program! I may have to jump in and buy it!

Thanks again!

Togotooner

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:39 pm

You're very welcome and I like getting honest opinions!  Very Happy

You're not the first one asking for the removal of the rendered brush. Some find the brush too distracting when they first saw the video demos - or that it makes the app looks too childish? And so far, it seems most of these people are Western (I never heard someone from Japan / China / Korea saying that).

This may be due to the fact that we're from different cultural backgrounds. Traditionally in the East, the basic training for painting is calligraphy: we train our have hand controlling the brush (thus a rendered brush is good). In the West, basic training is sketching: we learn to do precise lines/shapes and so on (thus a cursor is good).

When I paint, I myself do not find the brush distracting - it's semi-transparent and we actually constantly moving the brush so it's not much an issue of blocking my view. But that maybe just me, so yes, I also allow various rendering options.

And speaking of rendering of 3D brushes: to me I never understand why Adobe chose to have a small window showing the 3D brush in side-view in Photoshop. When I'm painting, my eyes would just look at the spot I'm making a mark, not that window at a corner. It's almost like the effectiveness of their 3D brushes is not that great, and so they have to explicitly use that window to tell people - hey it's 3D!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Togotooner Thu 13 Oct 2016, 1:58 am

I bet you are on to something there with the East West point of view. With that being said,..it may just be a matter of time with using the program that I might get used to the brush pointer being there. I don't think either way is wrong and a great program will offer both (as does yours).

As for Adobe,...oh my goodness, please don't get me started. I will reserve my true feelings about them and their horrific/greedy business model change to a subscription based one, but yes, you are indeed right about some of the decisions they make when designing their UI. They have some good stuff, don't get me wrong, but at a premium cost and quite often at a very unnecessarily steep learning curve. I personally have weaned myself off of most of their products and now use them sparingly for a very specific need.

Togotooner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down