Expresii
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke

2 posters

Go down

ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke Empty ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke

Post  wujian Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:39 pm

Hello Admin and all, I hope to find out if you have experienced the same situation as I have here. Here is the scenario:
I just draw some random lines on screen, and suddenly the cursor freezed for about 1 second or 2, and then started to deposit again. It did not deposit during the freeze, that is, part of the stroke (usually the beginning part) was missing.
Of course we can press z to undo the stroke and apply it once again. But it happens very frequently and seems very annoying to me.
To reproduce the case, please simply draw a LOT of lines on your screen.

Expresii version 20171127
Windows version win10 pro
GPU Quadro k4100m 4G vram
Ram 16G
Intuos Pro tablet (latest version) and I always use a cable to connect it to pc, if it's helpful

Thank you all and enjoy expresii.

wujian

Back to top Go down

ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke Empty Re: ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke

Post  wujian Fri 01 Dec 2017, 12:33 am

Update: Video to demonstrate my issue.

and this video demonstrates how the cursor "jumps" from one place to another when I moved the stylus smoothly without touching the tablet, or the mouse without pressing the buttons.

wujian

Back to top Go down

ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke Empty Re: ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke

Post  Admin Sat 02 Dec 2017, 5:47 pm

Thanks for your report.

That should be the delay when the system is swapping memory for undo buffer. For the moment, please lower the undo level manually to fix the issue:
ISSUE: brush suddenly freezes at the beginning of a stroke Captur10

Currently, Expresii sees how much free GPU memory is there, but the driver does its own memory swapping and keeps reporting there's free RAM even when most GPU RAM is consumed.

In a later update, I think I'd just set a default undo level of say 15, instead of auto looking at the free memory to determine the undo level.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  wujian Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the reply!
Setting the undo value to 5 does seem much better for me.

To a professional user, auto adjusting undo level makes no sense, IMHO. It sounds unreliable and unpredictable. The user has to know how many steps he /she can fall back on for sure.

That said, I don't think it's as important as the smoothness of the app. For a professional user, the worst thing he / she can imagine is unsmoothness, 'jam', 'broken', 'crash' etc. Very Happy

Also, please forgive me for bringing back this topic again - Would you please consider using some RAM i/o vRAM only in future pc versions? Very Happy I'm no techie but I just believe it not right to waste so much RAM that comes with every PC people get. You don't have to waste your time answering and explaining this, it's good enough to just consider it.

With regard to 'smoothness', please also consider the following -
1, auto saving interrupts user's input.
2, checking liscense & all other attempts to get online in the background seems to make the app less smooth. I notice it because when it gets conected in the background, the app window in the taskbar turns green. Maybe I have this issue because I'm behind the Great Firewall and connection to gumroad.com and your website is not stable. But I think it might be done in another way - a stand-by process i/o X.exe perhaps. I don't mind have one more system service installed since we already have so many there.

Once again, you don't have to waste your time answering and explaining this, it's good enough to just consider it.

Thanks and keep up the good efforts!

wujian

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:31 am

The original reason behind the auto-undo level is so that for those with more video RAM, more undo levels are to be given with user manually adjust it.

The graphics driver is already doing main memory<>Video memory swapping (and that's why you see the lag). Anyway, I will come up with more ways to deal with such issue. Smile

For now, if you already purchased Expresii Win32 version, I can give you a free Windows Store version (assuming you have Windows 10). The Store version's licensing is handled by Windows, so hopefully you don't have those delays in connecting to sites outside (blocked by Great Fire Wall). But the Store version is updated less often. Smile

You can disable the auto-saving, or adjust the saving frequency. Auto-saving is needed in case your system crash or something happens. There're production people using Expresii every day, so by default, it's better to be on the safe side because losing your work is really bad. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wujian Fri 08 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

@Admin,Thank you for your kindness and I really appreciate that. But I really don't need another license.
For the Firewall problem I can handle by myself. In fact it's not so difficult to master. Maybe I can share some tips on that if needed by anyone.

But I don't think you have got my opinion the right way. Maybe I didn't put it the right way. Forgive me Very Happy

Re. undo steps - I mean it is better to let user decide a level for himself/herself rather than auto-leveling by default.
Re. auto-saving - definitely it's necessary but I mean it should be carried out in the background, by all means. For the moment, when it auto-saves, and you are drawing, you are interrupted. You will see a message popup and you have to wait until it's done. It takes only a blink when the artwork size is small, but very long when it's big. Even worse, when you are not using Expresii, auto-saving will bring you back to Expresii. This makes no sense at all. So, my suggestion is that auto-saving must be run in the backgroud.
Re. Connection / phone back - must be run in the background too. No popup message is necessary if, for a short while, the app fails to connect to its headquater. I believe there is better way to do this.

Thank you!

wujian

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:44 am

The last update [2017.12.27] now has the Auto-save not stealing focus if Expresii is in the background. Having the auto save process completely running in background means we need to set aside another chunk of GPU memory but you know many of the users still don't have too much GPU ram yet. I agree that what you suggested is the ideal case we all would like to have, but it still takes time to develop. My friend said she would just take a little break if auto save comes every 15 minutes. Smile

And now the auto-undo-level is also replaced with a much less aggressive method. Now it only looks at your GPU brand and possibly the total amount of GPU ram you have to suggest a conservative undo level.

And we show the license check failure notice immediately so that users are reminded to connected to the internet. Because once they, say, start travelling to some rural area they may have a hard time finding internet connection for several days, and after 7 days of being unconnected, Expresii won't allow saving of artwork. And for normal users, I expect this notice to come up only very rarely. And actually for those behind the Great Firewall, I've added a 'Firewall mode' in the registration process so that you won't have such a connection failure issue (http://expresii.lofter.com/post/1d84fe1c_ebde2cc). You can register again with this mode if you like. You do so by first removing your existing registration. There's a 'x' button beside your registered name in the 'System Info' dialog box that you can press to remove your existing registration.

Thanks for all your feedback so that I know what to prioritize or to change. Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 01 Jan 2018, 3:04 pm

[Update 2017.12.31] I've added option to not warning for the license check failure. You can go to System Settings>General>Show>License Check warning to toggle it. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down