Expresii
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick

2 posters

Go down

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Empty Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick

Post  teng1 Thu 04 Feb 2021, 5:19 am

Hi, I was doing some more testing and liked how the external ref image can be moved off the canvas area and could use live update to keep it updated with references from another program.
I noticed 2 issues with it,

1) The colours become darkened in comparison to the overlay version and source image
2) Not able to colour pick from external, this would be good as could have naturalistic palettes/references to the side and pick from them without obscuring the work area

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Captur10

teng1

Back to top Go down

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Empty Re: Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick

Post  teng1 Thu 04 Feb 2021, 5:47 am

Example showing how colour chart could be used
Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Palett10

Thanks!
Tom

teng1

Back to top Go down

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Empty Re: Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick

Post  Admin Thu 04 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm

Thanks a new way of using the external reference! I added that external reference just for an animation studio where they need to put a large background image. I'll put the option to sample from the external reference to my do-to list. For the mean time, you can always store colors in 'pan sets'. You need to switch to Advanced User Mode to get that. See a picture showing you how: https://twitter.com/ExpresiiPaint/status/1356989670467411971/photo/1

For the darker-than-sampled question, it's due to the 'granulation' from the paper material settings (2nd slider under 'Texture'). It mimics the paint pigments become more concentrated at pores of the paper. Smile
I think if you set that to zero, you should get the exact color you want.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  teng1 Fri 05 Feb 2021, 1:46 am

Thanks, that's interesting I noticed the "lightbox" settings which remind of animators too! I went through each of the paper settings but they didn't seem to affect the image brightness, still stays dimmed. The pansets look useful and can copy paste schemes into them.

Thanks for looking into it.

teng1

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 06 Feb 2021, 11:50 am

It's this "granulation" (you can hover on the slider to see a tool tip for what that thing is):

Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Captur30
Feature request: Allow Ref image (External) to color pick Captur31

Just tested and it still gives me darker shades. Very Happy

Personally I like having some 'granulation', as it gives the colors more punch. Very Happy

Given your feedback, I start to think maybe I should move this control to the color tab instead of the paper material, as I believe users tend to look at the color tab for any color-related matter.  However, this 'granulation' is a global (i.e. across the whole page) setting instead of transient as per color-loading, so users may also question me why if such a control in the color tab would affect what is already laid down.  Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  teng1 Tue 09 Feb 2021, 7:35 am

Hi Nelson,
I agree granulation is a beautiful property of watercolours and changes based on pigment used, I think, if simulated per pigment it would be logical to add it to the colour area, if its a global mode then I think paper settings is the right place for it.

So all you need to do now is simulate pigment dropping out of solution and building up in the depressions in the paper Wink while you are at it can simulate the migration of pigment particles into other wet areas and granulating Very Happy

Thank you for your great works Smile

teng1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down