Expresii
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint)

2 posters

Go down

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Empty [FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint)

Post  colton Fri 26 Mar 2021, 9:45 am

Hi Nelson,

Original thread about the new feature:
https://expresii.forumotion.net/t314-each-brush-stroke-darkens-paint

Thank you for the new Expresii feature! Unfortunately, the SHIFT+V feature alters how the paint looks when you use it.

For example, here is a paint blob with edge-darkening. This was made using the paint and water tools:

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Blob110

And, here is the same paint blob after using the 'each stroke darkens paint' (SHIFT+V) feature:

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Blob210

Notice that the 'edge-darkening' suddenly vanishes? Sad

This can be kinda annoying when you are painting--it alters paint that has already been painted.

Thank you! Please look into this when you have a moment.

Last edited by colton on Wed 07 Apr 2021, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

colton

Back to top Go down

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Empty Re: [FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint)

Post  Admin Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:03 am

Thanks for your feedback, Colton!

That was due to 1. the 'settling' of paint is actually a kind of 'rasterizing', so some small details may be lost due to the rasterization. 2. I try to minimize the rasterized data size. For the latter, I can add another channel to store more information to better differentiate wet and dry rendering, but currently I have omitted such information to have the data fitting nicely into one single RGBA texture. My plan is to use this single RGBA in the first generation (so that it's not too demanding on users' GPU resources), and in later generations I'd add the extra information to better keep the paint as it.

This is one example of dilemmas I need to face every day in the development of Expresii. Smile I'll keep experimenting (e.g. try pack 2 values into one byte) and hopefully a good balance can be made.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

colton likes this post

Back to top Go down

[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Empty Re: [FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint)

Post  Admin Wed 07 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm

Uploaded update 2021.04.07. I think the edge darkening is captured better now:
[FIXED] Loss of Post-Processing (like Edge-Darkening) Using the New SHIFT+V Feature (Each Stroke Darkens Paint) Captur34
Please consider this still a beta feature. It's still subject to change.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://expresii.forumotion.net

colton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down